14 November 2012

In Loving Memory ... One Year

ANITA DOUIN July 16, 1929 - November 14, 2011

Anita or Ma'am, to most everyone ... but "Ma" Douin to ME, since I was around 10 years old. How I loved you, Ma ... through eternity! You were my friend, my confidante, protector of my young Soul, my 'Ma' when things in my young Life didn't always feel good and right. You were one person, one adult, I felt at home with ... one who listened to me, and not only listened, but HEARD me, no matter what. 

I always felt 'safe' with you, Ma ... and as time flew by and I got older, though I was not always close in proximity to you, I always, ALWAYS felt close to YOU, no matter how many miles or how many days, months, or years were between us. You were,  as your daughter was and still is to me, close, loving, forgiving, beautiful, my best friend, my confidante, my heroine ... and so much more!
How I miss knowing you are up in Maine ... How I miss that I can't just drop you a line whenever I get the urge! How I miss knowing I can make a little time to drop by to see you when I'm in town ... I can't believe it's been a year already, Ma! Why does it seem like just yesterday that I was a young pre-teen, carrying breakfast that I'd cooked especially for your daughter through the 'gully' path and knocking on your door ...

"Morning Ma! Is Kathie up yet?" And you laughing about the fact that us youngsters were so spontaneous, so close to each other, and so silly at times "Whassitto you? Whagidoo?" "You all right Scott boy speak to me sonny!" "Merrill take it out .... HUAH!" Oh my! We were very silly indeed! But how we laughed ... how we laughed at the silliest things: "Forty-one!" "Gleep!" And you always accepted me for me .... that silly, crazy, irreverent best friend of your daughter's who happened to live right behind you ... just a path's length away through the 'gully' ... 

We all know that with Life eventually comes death, and we accept death, even when it is difficult to accept because we have no choice but to accept it. Life is wonderful, filled with joys and love beyond our wildest dreams, but it is also wrought with sadness and tears. As we mature, we learn to take each bump, each hill and mountain as it comes. We learn to accept, bless with love and peace, and move forward as time passes ... 

God blesses us richly with little joys, and God blesses us richly with little difficulties ... combined, these little psychodramas are what build our character, make us each individuals, unique, and special. We need to continue moving forward, as our wise older adults informed us each time there was a death in our family, "Life goes on!" and that it does! Time waits for none of us.

But something Time can NOT take from us is our memories. They are engraved upon our hearts and Souls, and in our minds, for Eternity. You, and all the memories that came along with You, Ma, will remain etched on my Heart and Soul for the rest of my Life! 

May You rest in Peace until we are someday united once again ...
I love you. 
Your "Other" daughter ~ Kathi 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and ALWAYS remember to be respectful and tactful ... Blessings :)